According to the 1888 census, in Leskovac, which was the second largest city in Serbia, there were as many as 500 “Turkish houses”, which were not actually Turkish, but the style is rightly called the “Balkan style”. In fact, the demolition of these houses after the liberation from the Turks is a first-class culturicide of Serbian identity, since the similar looking houses were in medieval Serbian cities, the whole of medieval Europe, Asia Minor and the Near East, and everything originated from Byzantium. This type of house could be called a “Byzantine house” rather than a Turkish one, but almost all the houses in Leskovac were irretrievably destroyed, and today the city could be like Plovdiv, Veliko Trnovo, Mostar or Ohrid.
One such house is also at the address Miloš Obilić 1, where the closed Konak Restaurant is located today. The house was built in the 19th century, it changed several owners during the 20th century. The current owner bought it in 1992. In 1996, he completely reconstructed it according to the original blueprints. Until recently, there was a restaurant in the house, and the owner is currently converting it into a kindergarten.
The house is recognizably white, it is double storey building, the upper floor overhanging the lower one. The facade is centrally symmetrical, and on each side there are four windows on the first floor and two on the ground floor. The terrace on the central part of the facade, on the first floor, has recognizable woodwork decorations. The original chimneys and wooden gate have also been preserved. The roof is characteristically four-pitched.
The building is in good condition.
This project was supported by the Ministry of Culture and Information of the Republic of Serbia.