The castle was built at the end of the 18th century, possibly in 1795, to house the family of Count Mikló sAntal Kárász (1715-1797), the founder of the town of Horgoš (Horgos). It is characteristic of the Baroque style of construction (sometimes it is stated that it is a “provincial baroque”), and it was designed by an unknown Viennese architect. In any case, with its appearance, as well as details, the family castle is a building with clear baroque features.
The building is part of the plan in the form of the Latin letter “L” (or the Cyrillic letter “Г”). The main façade, overlooking the inner courtyard, has a large staircase leading to the porch; the porch and windows are adorned with wrought-iron gates. The main façade, asymmetrical, has a main avant-corps decorated with four large pilasters with composite capitals bearing an architrave in the form of frieze with triglyphs and metopes. The architrave supports a large baroque pediment. This main facade is also characterized by plaster decoration that surrounds the openings, especially floral motifs, and a high attic roof.There are decorative vases on the porch’s fence posts. Other facades are more modestly decorated, and below the shorter part of the segment there is a vaulted cellar.
After the Second World War, the castle was used as a school, but today it is abandoned and in poor condition. A school playground was built in 1999 in the protected area of Kárász Park. Today, the castle is protected by a temporary fence, which was placed there in 2008, when the right to use the castle was transferred to the local community of Horgoš. There are still inscriptions around that approaching is life-threatening. It was expected that its reconstruction would be completed in 2015, but that did not happen. The roof has been noticeably renovated with new tiles, and new windows have been installed, which are perfect replicas of the old ones. The facade has been scraped to brick in some places, and obviously a new facade works are being prepared with a new layer of plaster, and after that it is to be painted.
This project was supported by the Ministry of Culture and Information of the Republic of Serbia.